Kids these days grow up eating organic veggies and fruits, edamame, brown rice and special goodies you can only get at Whole Foods. You ask Eric (my fiancé) what he grew up on? Frozen mini pizzas, mozza sticks, gyozas and… chicken nuggets – straight from the one and only, Costco. Funny how much a few years can change things so much.
I decided to get nostalgic on Eric and make him a special treat from his childhood – chicken nuggets. Only, I made mine slightly better for you with 90% less sodium and made from skinless chicken breast (not made from mysterious chicken meat).
They turned out pretty tasty, Eric ate about 16 in one sitting and gave it his double stamp of approval. It’s a quick meal fix and a tasty treat. Here’s to our not-so-healthy childhood!
Recipe: Baked Panko Chicken Bites
- 2 cups panko (japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toast the 2 cups of panko in a pan over the store with 1 tbsp of canola oil. After the panko has turned a toasted brown add the 1/2 cup of parmesan.
- Fill one mixing bowl with the flour, cayenne, salt and garlic powder, another with the whisked eggs, and a third with the panko mixture from the stove.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1 in. cubs (chicken bite size pieces).
5. Coat the pieces of chicken in the flour mixture until it’s completely covered with flour.
6. Then dip the floured mixture in the egg dish until it’s completely covered.
7. Then put the egg-washed piece of chicken into the panko mixture and cover until the surface is completely covered with panko.
8. Put a cooling rack on the pan so that the bites aren’t directly on the surface of the pan. Place the chicken bites on the cooling rack on the pan.
9. Place them in the oven and bake them for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Smaller tenders will cook more quickly.
Serve them with your favourite dipping sauce – or go old school with Heinz ketchup! Enjoy your trip down memory lane!