Both Karla and I are at the age where weddings are happening… they’re happening frequently and this is only the beginning! Nowadays when you’re considering giving someone a wedding gift, the default is to give them a red lucky envelope of money to help them pay for the expenses of their wedding, honeymoon or whatever their heart desires. I love that idea, but I also love the idea of doing something a little more personal.
I googled “DIY wedding gifts”, went through a few slideshows and found this beauty of a project from A Beautiful Mess. I decided to try it out for some beautiful friends who are the most adorable couple. The results? Fantastic. So if you’re looking for more of a personal approach to a wedding gift and want to get crafty, try this photo transfer canvas on for size.
Project: DIY Antique Photo Canvas
- Mod Podge – Photo Transfer Medium
- A brush
- A canvas
- A laser copy (printed from the printer) of the image you want transferred
1. Completely cover your canvas with the mod podge photo transfer medium. Use a heavy coat.
2. Press the photo copy onto the canvas and let it dry for several hours or overnight.
*Remember: the image will be reversed so if you want the photo/image exactly as it normally is, make sure you flip the canvas and reverse the image on your computer before printing it out.
3. After your image is completely dry, sprinkle water onto the surface of the canvas to wet the top of the paper. Rub the surface with your fingers until pieces of the paper start coming off. When pieces start coming up your image will be revealed.
4. Be careful not to rub too hard as this can remove your transfer on accident. Continue until all the paper is removed and the image is completely visible.
6. After your image has dried completely, use a medium gloss to cover the surface and seal the image. Leave to dry.
7. Add ribbons to hang or just leave them plain on the mantle.
A unique and personalized wedding gift! Just for you!